Google creates ‘crisis fund’ following US immigration ban

Image result for Google creates ‘crisis fund’ following US immigration ban

Tech giant Google has created a US$2 million crisis fund in response to US president Donald Trump’s immigration ban.

Google staff are also being invited to top up the fund, with the money going towards the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), Immigrant Legal Resource Center (ILRC), International Rescue Committee (IRC), and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

“We chose these organisations for their incredible efforts in providing legal assistance and support services for immigrants, as well as their efforts on resettlement and general assistance for refugees globally,” a Google spokesperson said.

The announcement follows requests by Google CEO, Sundar Pichai last week for staff travelling overseas to come back to the US. More than 100 staff are affected by President Trump’s executive order on immigration.

Since 2015, Google has given more than US$16 million to organisations focused on humanitarian aid for refugees on the ground, WiFi in refugee camps, and education for out of school refugee children in Lebanon, the spokesperson said.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has also responded to the crisis, saying that as an immigrant himself, he has experienced the positive impact that immigration has on the company, the country and the world.

Nadella said Microsoft was providing legal advice and assistance to 76 staff who have a US visa and are citizens of Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Yemen, and Sudan.

In an email sent to Microsoft staff, US-based director, Brad Smith said that Microsoft believes in a strong and balance skilled immigration system.

“We also believe in broader-immigration opportunities, like the protections for talented and law-abiding young people under the Deferred Access for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. We believe that immigration laws can and should protect the public without sacrificing people’s freedom of expression or religion. And we believe in the importance of protecting legitimate and law-abiding refugees whose very lives may be at stake in immigration proceedings,” he said.

 

 

[Source:- Javaworld]

Thai police find more unexploded bombs following coordinated blasts

Police Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) official inspects the site of a bomb blast in Hua Hin, south of Bangkok, Thailand, in this still image taken from video August 12, 2016. REUTERS/REUTERS TV

Thai police over the weekend found and defused five explosive devices that had failed to detonate when an as yet unidentified group carried out a series of deadly bomb attacks on popular tourist spots late last week.

Police said they had arrested one suspect following the bomb and arson attacks on Thursday and Friday that killed four people and wounded dozens more in some of Thailand’s best-known southern resorts and islands.

The attacks came just days after Thais voted to accept a military-backed constitution that the ruling junta, which seized power in 2014, has said will lead to an election by the end next year.

“These acts were undertaken by a group in many areas simultaneously, following orders from one individual,” Pongsapat Pongcharoen, a deputy national police chief, told reporters on Sunday, without elaborating.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Analysts say suspicion would inevitably fall on enemies of the ruling junta aggrieved by the referendum results, or insurgents from Muslim-majority provinces in the south of the mostly Buddhist country.

Two incendiary devices in mobile telephone power packs were found in a market in the upscale resort of Hua Hin on Sunday, the interior ministry said in a statement. A bomb disposal team defused both, and local police said the devices had been there since Wednesday.

The resort was the scene of the most devastating of the wave of bombs when a blast ripped through an alley in a bar area on Thursday evening. There were two more blasts in the town less than 12 hours later.

Another fire bomb was found on the island of Phuket on Sunday and defused, local police said. It had been set to detonate at 3 a.m. on Friday (2000 GMT on Thursday), local police said.

In Phang Nga, two devices were found on Saturday near a market that was torched in an attack early on Friday.

“One worked and the other two didn’t,” Phakaphong Tavipatana, the governor of Phang Nga, told Reuters, adding that police hoped to find fingerprints on the defused devices.

Phuket and Phang Nga were both hit in the attacks on Thursday and Friday, as was Surat Thani, a city that is the gateway to the popular islands in the Gulf of Thailand.

Attackers struck targets in seven southern Thai provinces, using bombs as well as incendiary devices that set shops and markets ablaze.

A man has been arrested and was being questioned in connection to an arson attack on a supermarket in the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat, Pongsapat said. Police believe more than one individual was involved in that attack, he said.

The movements of other suspects were being monitored, he added.

NO SCAPEGOATS

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, the army chief who led the coup two years ago, has instructed the police to be thorough and cautious in their investigation, said Pongsapat, adding that police were “not catching scapegoats.”

No evidence has been found yet to connect southern insurgents to the attacks, Pongsapat said, but DNA samples collected at the blast sites were being compared with databases in the southern Muslim provinces.

Fears that followers of former prime ministers Thaksin Shinawatra and his sister Yingluck Shinawatra could be blamed prompted a senior figure in their Puea Thai Party to issue a sharp denial on Saturday.

Thaksin’s government was toppled by the military in 2006, while Yingluck’s was ovethrown two years ago.

The anti-government United Front For Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), known as the “red shirt” group and sympathetic to the Shinawatras, condemned the attacks in a statement on Sunday.

[Source: Reauters]

U.S. companies enable unfastened calls to Turkey following Istanbul terror assaults

Following the devastating terror assaults at Istanbul’s Atatürk airport, AT&T, dash, T-cellular, and Verizon have announced that their clients can name and textual content buddies and family in Turkey totally free.

T-cell CEO John Legere condemned the attack, saying that the provider will provide loose calls and texts to Turkey thru July five:

sprint CEO cited that every one calls and texts to Turkey from dash, Virgin cellular united states of america, and increase mobile clients could be waived off till July 5:

From AT&T:

AT&T will waive or credit score costs incurred for consumer or enterprise calls placed by using AT&T’s clients from the us to Turkey among June 28, 2016 to June 30, 2016, inside the neighborhood time zone. This includes landline, texting, and mobility (Postpaid and GoPhone) calls.

Verizon is presenting unfastened calls and texts to Turkey until June 29:

extra than one hundred seventy,000 Verizon employees global make bigger condolences to all our pals and circle of relatives in Turkey. on this time of uncertainty, we want to assist our clients tormented by the assault at Ataturk airport in Istanbul, Turkey, so Verizon is offering free wireless and wireline calling from the U.S. to Turkey to hook up with family and friends.

wi-fi customers will incur no expenses for texts or international long distance calls originating from the U.S. to Turkey on June 28 and 29, 2016 (applicable taxes and surcharges will practice).

domestic wireline cellphone customers can make loose calls to Turkey on June 28 and 29, 2016 (relevant taxes and surcharges will practice).